Why learn German?
According to the Goethe Institute (www.goethe.de),
- Germany is the world’s largest exporter.
- The European Union language with the largest number of native speakers is German.
- Eighteen percent of the world’s books are published in German.
- Germany is home to numerous international corporations.
- German is no harder to learn to speak and write than other languages.
- German is the second-most commonly used scientific language.
- German is the language of history’s leading voices in literature, music and the sciences, including: Goethe, Nietzsche, Kafka, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Freud and Einstein.
- Speaking and understanding German will deepen a person’s knowledge of this rich culture and improve employment opportunities in the 21st century global economy.
- Learning German provides deeper insights into a region that plays a vital role in central Europe’s intellectual and economic life and in its cultural history.
- Germans account for the largest percentage of tourists throughout many regions of the world.
- Research has shown that acquiring a second language, particularly at an early age, has many additional benefits.
Can anyone go to this program?
The German School of Monmouth County (GSMC) is a school open to everyone interested in learning German language and culture. We encourage children and adults alike – without prior language experience – to participate and find an encouraging environment that fosters love of language and will help with all aspects of social and intellectual development.
What prior language skills are required?
None. We offer programs tailored to both native and non-native speakers who want to know more about the German culture, taught by native German speakers.
What is parent-supported organization?
To offer an affordable programs, every family enrolled in the program is required to donate their time volunteering in various committees and school functions. Volunteering includes administration, fundraising, school event assistance, help in the classroom, etc. We are a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization. All events and fundraisers support classroom activities, learning materials and the school’s free multi-cultural library.
What do I do with my other children not enrolled at GSMC?
Childcare for siblings not enrolled at a GSMC program is available upon request. Please contact us for details.